Moroccan Orange Olive Oil Cake "Meskouta"
Recipe by Chef Yasmina Ksikes
We are so in love with this sugar-free cake our sister Yasmina Ksikes (chef of Lalla Mina in LA) made for us using our Red 'Bold & Dynamic' olive oil. "Meskouta" also known as Kika is the star at "Mahlabas", iconic cafes in Morocco. Yasmina's version is divine. Rich in citrus and floral notes followed by delicious flavors of olive oil, almond and coconut.
Give it a try, it will become your staple, easy to make cake!
- 4 eggs (whites separated)
- 3⁄4 cup of Moroccan Olive Grove 'Bold & Dynamic' olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup of maple syrup
1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp of flaxseed meal
- 1 1⁄2 tsp of baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup of orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp of ginger
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Pinch of turmeric
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 tsp of apricot jam diluted with
- 1 tbsp of orange blossom water
- 2 tsp of shredded coconut
- 2 tsp of toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat Oven 350 and butter and flour the cake mold.
- Beat egg white until peaks form, then set aside.
- In a large bowl beat oil, maple syrup and egg yolks.
- Stir flour & baking powder and spice mix.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the egg batter and incorporate well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake and bake for 35-40 mins.
- Allow cake to cool.
- Inverse and spread the diluted apricot jam
- Garnish with coconut, almonds and a few orange slices and drizzle some Moroccan olive oil over the top.